Poedit is a software that you can use to translate themes and plugins to your preferred local language. This is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux users and can be downloaded from poedit.net. This software has a Pro version but the free version should be sufficient for you to do the translation.
Before you begin the translation, you will need the following:
- Poedit software
- The .pot file of your plugin or theme – You can get this from the languages folder of your theme/plugin.
Once you have both, follow the instructions below.
1. Open the Poedit software > Create new translation
2. Locate the file .pot of the theme/plugin you wish to translate.
3. Choose the language you would want it to be translated into.
Note: WordPress uses a language code for every language there is. This needs to be followed otherwise the translation won’t work. For the list of language codes WordPress uses, please click this LINK.
4. Once you have your language selected, you can now begin the translation.
5. Make sure that you saved the file in the correct format.
The format should be theme-text-domain-language_code. Example: hestia-pro-en_US for US English, orfeo-sv_SE for translating Orfeo to Swedish
The text domain of any theme(if it’s translatable) can be found in the style.css file of that theme.
The text domain of any plugin(if it’s translatable) can be found in the main plugin file(usually named the same as the plugin itself):
Once you click save PoEdit will automatically generate .po and .mo for you.
Upload these two files in this location by accessing your site via FTP or your hosting’s file manager program, once connected go to wp-content/languages/themes (when dealing with themes) or wp-content/languages/plugins (when dealing with plugin translation).
If you do not have this languages folder in your wp-content folder then simply create it.
6. Change the local language in WordPress.
Once you have added the .po and .mo to the said location, go to your WordPress Dashboard > Settings > General
Under Site language, change it to the same language as your Poedit translation.